The term Adrenal Fatigue has been used by some doctors, healthcare providers, and the general media to describe an alleged condition caused by chronic exposure to stressful situations. According to this theory, chronic stress could potentially lead to “overuse” of the adrenal glands, eventually resulting in their functional failure. Modern medicine doesn’t really validate the existence of this disorder much like they were reluctant to embrace fibromyalgia and chronic fatique syndrome. Still, something is going on and in holistic circles called as Adrenal Fatigue Syndrome.
What is Adrenal Fatigue :-
It is thought to be a variety of chronic tiredness that affects the hormone production of the adrenal glands and is often correlated with high levels of stress.
Though it affects the adrenal glands, it is not to be confused with either Addison’s Disease or adrenal insufficiency. There is some debate about whether adrenal fatigue should be classified as a separate issue.
Causes of adrenal fatigue :-
The primary cause of adrenal fatigue is high levels of stress, whether it be physical, psychological, or emotional. When you undergo an especially stressful event or period, your adrenal glands enter a state known as “homeostasis” (attempting to correct for the stress). If your adrenal glands are forced to sustain this state for too long, or if they are subjected to extreme shock, their overall output of adrenal hormones will be reduced due to the overstimulation.
Symptoms and Signs of Adrenal Fatigue Syndrome :
* Lack of stamina, feeling tired and Lack of get up and go.
* High or low blood pressure
* Cravings for salty or sugary foods
* Mentally foggy, inability to stay focused on one task
* Inability to deal with day to day stress, feeling overwhelmed much of the time, struggling to get through the day, anxiety attacks
* Frequent infections, taking a longer time than others to recover from illness or infections or trauma.
* Inability to fall asleep or falling asleep well but waking up nightly. Sleeping soundly but waking up exhausted.
* Worsening of peri-menopausal symptoms, low libido, severe PMS.
If the above symptoms are observed, then your adrenals may be running on empty, even if all your conventional medical tests are normal.
Conventional blood tests, taken at whatever time your doctor has scheduled your appointment, might indicate that your adrenals are normal. However, a better diagnostic approach will test your levels at different times of the day, which is much more likely to reveal an out-of-whack pattern of cortisol secretion. Adrenal fatigue is characterized by cortisol levels that are too high at night and not high enough in the morning.
Ayurvedic Herbal cure for Adrenal Fatigue Syndrome:-
Ayurveda treats every case of fatigue based upon the individual body-type (prakruti/vikruti) imbalance. The important issue behind most cases of fatigue is systemic congestive toxins (ama). The toxic buildup impairs the digestive fire (agni), leading to more ama and thus poor nutrition and depletion. The aim of Ayurvedic treatment is to balance the doshas, improve digestion (agni), and eliminate toxic buildup (ama). When doshic imbalances spread to any tissue (dhatu) and create depletion (vata), inflammation (inflammation) or congestion (kapha) fatigue can result.
Ayurveda offers plenty of herbal remedies to relieve symptoms of adrenal fatigue. These helpful herbs have a number of different functions:-
* Ashwagandha - Ashwagandha is one of the most versatile plants in existence and is a key herbal component in countless herbal stress formulas. The flagship herb of Ayurveda supports healthy adrenal function, energy, and mental focus.
* Licorice- Licorice has an adaptogenic quality that helps regulate stress hormones, such as adrenaline, which means that it can counter adrenal fatigue and encourage hormonal balance.
* Cinnamon - Cinnamon can increase energy, boost metabolism, and help to stabilize blood sugars.
* Holy Basil - one of the most celebrated plants in India, Holy Basil has been valued for centuries for benefiting the mind, body, and spirit. This great tasting Ayurvedic has been researched for its potential in the areas of stress relief and relaxation in recent times. It's the perfect herb to help stay calm and cool in the fast-paced, modern era.
* Shilajit - Shilajit is a blend of mineral-containing compounds made by soil-based microorganisms and contains an abundance of humic and fulvic acids. This adaptogenic compound is believed to promote vigor and endurance and to enhance athletic performance and sports recovery.
If you want to know how Ayurvedic herbal remedies can help you in Adrenal Fatigue Syndrome, you can book an appointment with our Ayurvedic specialists Here.
Disclaimer : Sandeep Kumar and Anupam Vasudeva are not GP, they have Ayurveda medical degree from India where it is considered equal to any other medical degree. This qualification is recognized in Australia by vetassess governing body as Complementary Health Therapists. Life Line Ayurvedic Herbal Clinic does not claim to cure a disease or terminal illness and does not create any unreasonable expectation of beneficial treatment. Ayurvedic medicines and treatments are generally considered to be safe but rarely may be associated with possible adverse reactions in individual cases. We recommend seeking urgent medical attention in the case of an adverse reaction. This website provides you with information. You must contact your Ayurvedic or another health professional before you apply them. Read More