Shingles also known as Herpes Zoster is a common infection of the nerves. It is caused by a type of virus - varicella-
Shingles is most common in older adults and people who have weak immune systems because of stress, injury, certain medicines, or other reasons. Most people who get shingles will get better and will not get it again. But it is possible to get shingles more than once.
Causes of Shingles infection :-
Chicken pox is a common childhood illness and the virus from this lies dormant (inactive) in the nervous system, until it is reactivated later in life, causing shingles. It is possible to get shingles more than once, but it is rare to get it more than twice.
It is unknown why the virus is reactivated later in life, but there is belief that you are more susceptible to shingles if you have a low immune system. This could be due to any of the following:
* Old age – the elderly has a reduced immunity and research shows that shingles is more common in individuals over 70 years old
* Physical and emotional stress – when a person is stressed, chemicals are released that reduces the body’s natural immune defenses
* HIV and AIDS – these infections by their nature lower individual’s immunity
* Chemotherapy – despite being a successful cancer treatment, this medication can weaken the immune system
* Bone marrow transplant – this procedure can affect a person’s immune system
* Organ transplants – after a transplant the medication required for the body to accept the organ, can cause reduced immunity.
Shingles or Herpes usually affect a small section of the body. Some if the symptoms include: sensitivity to touch, red rash, itching, fluid-filled blisters, pain, burning, numbness and tingling. Rashes normally occur on the left or right side of the torso, but they can occur around one eye, neck, face and even ears. Some people experience headaches, fatigue, and fever. The most common complication of shingles is postherpetic neuralgia (PHN), which is severe pain in the areas where the shingles rash occurred.
Ayurvedic view on Shingles or Herpes Zoster :
According to Ayurveda Shingles or Herpes zoster is closely related to ‘Visarpa’. It is one of the major skin disease. Mainly pitta dosha aggravates along with involvement of kapha and vata dosha. Pitta dosha is responsible factor for the eruption of reddish painful boils in the hands, armpit, shoulder, eyes and waist.
Ayurvedic treatment for Shingles or Herpes Zoster :
For treating Shingles or Herpes Zoster, Ayurveda recommends a combination of corrective diet especially pitta pacifying diet, daily exercise and herbal medicines both for internal use as well as for external local application in the form of herbal pastes and medicated oils massage. Medicated oils in the form of Nasyam are also very effective.
Ayurvedic Herbs and Herbal products used for treating Shingles are :-
* Neem - Neem is very effective in treating Shingles infection by acting as an effective antiviral and antibacterial agent. Helps to avoid complications. Neem acts as a antioxidant as well. Helps to stop nerve damage caused by virus and superadded bacterial infection.
* Yashtimadhu - It is very effective in relieving itching, burning, rashes and blisters. It acts as an antioxidant as well as immunobooster. Glycyrrhizin is a chemical constituent present in this herb, which is scientifically proven to act against DNA and RNA viruses including HZV, HSV.
* Haritaki - It is a very good antioxidant, antiinflammatory, antiallergic, digestive herb; very effective in viral and bacterial infections.Thus it helps in reducing rashes, nervine pain, blisters and burning sensation.
* Giloy - It is a proven best antiviral herbs as well as it helps to raise immunity. Very effective to decrease pitta to help in burning sensation and all flu like symptoms especially in first few days of infection.
* Chamomille - Very good antiviral and effective in reducing all rash related symptoms.
* Patol - This herb helps to reduce inflammation, burning sensation.
* Ghritam - It is very good to balance pitta and vata doshas. Helps in reducing burning sensation, pain and stiffness in rases. Makes skin more emollient and helps in soothing.
* Boswellia - Helps in reducing inflammation and pain.
* Manjistha - Acts as an antiviral agent. Helps in reducing nerve pain and detoxification of body.
Above mentioned Ayurvedic herbs along with many other Ayurvedic herbs not only help Shingles or Herpes Zoster infected person in reducing symptoms but also help to cure this condition from the root cause. For detailed treatment plan please contact Life Line Ayurvedic Herbal Clinic team here.
Disclaimer : Sandeep Kumar and Anupam Vasudeva are not GP, they have Ayurveda medical degree from India where it is considered equal to any other medical degree. This qualification is recognized in Australia by vetassess governing body as Complementary Health Therapists. Life Line Ayurvedic Herbal Clinic does not claim to cure a disease or terminal illness and does not create any unreasonable expectation of beneficial treatment. Ayurvedic medicines and treatments are generally considered to be safe but rarely may be associated with possible adverse reactions in individual cases. We recommend seeking urgent medical attention in the case of an adverse reaction. This website provides you with information. You must contact your Ayurvedic or another health professional before you apply them. Read More